Roberta is 38 years old and she was affected by a meningoencephalomyelitis 7 years ago. She moves very slowly and she finds all her activities very tiring. She lives in a scarcely accessible flat on the third floor without lift, and she rarely goes out. In the years her conditions got worse: now she gets rapidly tired when she walks, climbs the stairs, washes heself and does the houseworks, so she has to reduce her free time activities. She would like to discover aids and solutions that help her going round the city and to the supermarket idependently, washing herself in the bathroom in an less tiring way and using the gas cooker and the sink.
She has a manual wheelchair which she can't use in her small flat. She has a driving licence and a special car but she can't use it very much, because she doesn't know the roads.
Analyzing her demands and considering the assistive devices she has got, a solution for her problems was found. The purpose of the project is to give Roberta a stronger autonomy, to exploit her residual abilities and to help her discovering new resources.
Subject (according to the ISO classification of assistive products)
- Bath seats (ISO 09.33.05)
- Vehicle accessories and vehicle adaptations to control speed (ISO 12.12.04)
- Vehicle accessories and vehicle adaptations to control brake and engage or disengage parking brake (ISO 12.12.05)
- Bimanual handrim-drive wheelchairs (ISO 12.22.03)
- Electrically powered wheelchairs with manual direct steering (ISO 12.23.03)
- Special sitting furniture (ISO 18.09.21)
- Handrails and support rails (ISO 18.18.03)
- Stairlifts with platform (ISO 18.30.11)