Emanuele is a child, aged 10, suffering from progressive muscular dystrophy type Duchenne. He lives with his mother, a physiotherapist, that until now has coordinated on her own all professional interventions (physicians, pediatric neurology, pulmonologist, cardiologist, orthopedic technicians, etc..), as a response to the needs of her son. Now Emanuele’s mother is no more able to manage the situation by herself, as it has turned more difficult. We intervened in order to try to support her, focusing on five major issues concerning the autonomy of her son: the power wheelchair, the renovation of the bathroom, the accessibility of the home garden, the environment control and accessibility to personal computer.
For each topic a specific project was formulated, each identifying needs, objectives and expected results.
Subject (according to the ISO classification of assistive products)
- Seat cushions and underlays for tissue integrity (ISO 04.33.03)
- Seat belts, belts and harnesses for body stabilization (ISO 09.07.03)
- Shower chairs with and without wheels (ISO 09.33.07)
- Bimanual handrim-drive wheelchairs (ISO 12.22.03)
- Propulsion units for manual wheelchairs (ISO 12.24.09)
- Height-adjustable plinths and brackets (ISO 18.15.06)
- Portable ramps (ISO 18.30.15)
- Keyboards (ISO 22.36.03)
- Environmental control systems (ISO 24.13.03)
- Fixed-position systems (ISO 24.24.03)